15 September 2006

A plea to Georgiann

Each morning for the past few months, because my workday starts at 10 a.m., I have enjoyed the luxury of lying in bed and watching the "Today" show on NBC. I watched the entire hullabaloo about Katie and Meredith playing musical media chairs. I listened to the outdoor morning concerts. I heard Jessica lose her voice on national television. I got my news and entertainment trivia on a regular a.m. basis.

Around 9 o'clock I start my get-to-work-on-time routine, including the usual hygiene and inconsistent fashion efforts. I work in a basement behind a dual monitor, headset ready. As long as I don't have purple hair, dress provocatively or stink no one cares what I wear, really. But I digress.

At 9:30 a.m. our local Jesus-Saves Superstar, Dr. Dobson of Focus on the Family, has purchased several minutes on KOAA 5 & 30 (NBC) to tell us all how to live our lives. Because I'm in the middle of applying deodorant, brushing my teeth or wishing I were waif-like, I hear his wisdom wafting from the other room. The other day he started in on how government should support traditional family values and that just GOT me. What happened to non-profit religious organizations having to remain NEUTRAL politically in order to maintain their tax exempt status?

I think about boycotting channels 5 & 30 every time I hear Dobson's whiny voice and moronic rhetoric. My partner, however, has a crush on Georgiann Lymberopoulos, and refuses to watch any other local news. My question is. why oh WHY do our local media coddle the Christian criminals?

Why did the Gazette distribute Bibles last year? Because they sold out.
Why is Channel 5 & 30 hosting Dobson's drivel? Because they sold out.

What's my problem with Christian, non-profit, ministry organizations?
1. Focus' and New Life's properties take up much more land than many local and national businesses do, yet these Christian moguls give nothing back locally.

2. They don't pay property taxes to support our local infrastructure, claiming non-profit exemption.
3. They support amendments and agendas, advocating that members sign petitions outside their churches regardless of the fact that having tax-exempt status conflicts with engaging in political issues.
4. They distribute pamphlets and online information endorsing particular policies and candidates.
5. They pay to have Bibles distributed in the paper indiscriminately to Christians and Non-Christians, lowering a religious text to the level of advertising inserts.
6. They aren't contributing to our community as much as trying to assimilate others into their own hive.

Perhaps if these quite profitable theocracy-pushing organizations paid their dues to be here we could have streets without craters and bridges that aren't falling down. Notice you did not receive a Koran or a paperback Torah in your daily rag. Other religions are not building compounds and buying our government.

All of this ranting is really just a plea for NBC to dump Dobson.. Or, if his little daily sermon is that profitable - Georgiann - PLEASE move to a different network. We'll follow you. Please Georgiann - for your fans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as always, I think you are right on the mark. I think you should have a nationally syndicated column.

A HUGE fan......xoxoellen

Anonymous said...

Well said. So many people respond emotionally to pieces such as this. They lash out rather than discuss. Perhaps they miss the fact that their intolerance gives the opposition the point?