02 January 2007

Another New Year

New Year

New possibilities?

I dunno. Is there really any more possibility today than there was a couple of days ago? I'd like to believe that each moment is truly new and separate from the many previous moments of my life, and that any influence they may have is imaginary. I'd like to believe that in this new moment, which is separate from the last one, I can generate some new existence which may be more acceptable and enjoyable than many of my accumulated past moments were.

I think the past moments somehow form threads that singly have little strength, but become unbreakable when wound around me over and over again. Tiny filaments twist and tangle, crocheted into nets. These knotted webs entrap, sometimes strengthening as one struggles to break free.

The entrapment is imaginary, as are the long ago moments. There is no substance to these ties, no collectible evidence. Why then can I not escape the past completely and move beyond the limitations I continue to construct? All life is a trap ending in death. What you do before leaving behind this Earth depends on the weight of the imaginary webs in one's life, perhaps.

Of what are these filaments made?
Memories
Regrets
Wishes
Drowned dreams
Unrequited love
Failings
Lackings
Inadequacies
Perception
Self-esteem
Self-loathing
Unanswered questions
Unsolved mysteries
Introspection

all this and more.
Tune in next time when we explore the pointlessness of philosophical psycho-rambling - next episode: The ROI of Taking Action.

No comments: